Mark Zuckerberg, Facebook’s chief executive, announced last week that Facebook will be launching a “dislike” button. Following this exciting announcement were mixed reviews, both sides making valid points. In defense of Facebook’s decision, people will now be able to dislike and show support for posts that are about something sad, or in Mark Zuckerberg’s words, “What people really want is the ability to express empathy. Not every moment is a good moment or lends itself to a like”. Yet there is another side to this debate that states social media is already negative enough thus a ‘dislike’ button will only lead to more problems. As for the business world, this announcement was huge! Facebook now presents a new challenge and opportunity for businesses, as they now must be extra strategic and aware about the ways they market themselves on social media, specifically Facebook. Although many fear this launch, businesses should take advantage of it and turn it into an opportunity to have their companies grow. Here are a few ways your business will be impacted by this development and how you can take advantage of the ‘dislike’ button.
- By seeing who ‘likes’ and ‘dislikes’ your page you will be able to better target audiences
- If you want to try out a new marketing strategy or how your brand appears test it out on Facebook and see if it has any affect on which way the thumb goes
- Use it as a voting technique. Make a post stating if you agree ‘like’ and if you disagree ‘dislike,’ for suggestions comment!
- Receive quicker feedback as to which of your products are trending by the amount of ‘likes’ and ‘dislikes’ each of them have
- Know your ‘likers’ and ‘dislikers’ better, allowing you to better adjust your company’s strategy to their wants and needs.
Good luck and keep your thumbs up!